Saturday, June 19, 2010

Isaac's jet lag

I thought I got the worse jet lag ever but Isaac is beating even me. Yesterday he woke up at 1.30am and therefore so did I. I spent the rest of the night up with him as Paul was already back at work so needed to try to get a little sleep.
Isaac finally crashed at 2.30 in the afternoon in his pushchair - I walked back from town with him (in an attempt to get my first lot of exercise since Sunday!) and was so exhausted when I got back that I crashed too at about 4.30pm I had some fairly groggy sleep until 9.40 and Isaac woke up at 10.30pm. He has been up all night again, this time with Paul and I taking it in turns with him. I watched 5 episodes of 'Brothers and Sisters' back to back, then Paul took over. As i still couldn't get to sleep I had a bath at 3.45am then the two boys (Noah was awake by now too!) got in.
I held Isaac in bed with me until we finally fell asleep for an hour but no more sleep since.
We got back on Wednesday morning after 41 hours of travel house to house and zero hours of sleep for me and about 8 for Isaac. Fairly stressful journey as the very first only an hour flight from Manchester to Heathrow was delayed meaning we missed our flight to San Francisco (we actually saw the plane leaving as we landed at Heathrow). Instead we were put onto NZ1 through LAX which meant all our luggage labels had to be written by hand in Manchester (and two pieces of luggage didn't arrive). We also had to sit in the very back row of the plane (the row usually left empty as the seats don't recline and you're right by the toilets) and of course the boys didn't get any children's meals. Once we got to Auckland, realised two cases were missing and reported it, we had very little time to make our connection to Palmerston. We got to the domestic and the boys and I got our boarding passes alright but Paul's ticket had been cancelled for some reason. Anyway we got home on time and have got one case back and just heard that they've found the other one in Heathrow and it will come overnight on NZ1 and should be with us in the morning.

Otherwise a really lovely trip - I will post photos and video when I finally hav ehad enough sleep! We feel quite proud that the boys and us coped so well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remind me never to travel with the boys. It sounds like torture.
I'm glad you made it back safely.
Take care,