Monday, June 28, 2010

winter's here

Some photos of the boys in Disneyland to cheer us up a bit as we're now into the middle of grey, wet dismal winter weather.
This visit we spent some time in 'Toon Town' and the boys loved going round Mickey and Minnie's houses. Noah was really taken with the dishwasher in Minnie's kitchen and wanted to just sit on the floor watching it for ages!
This weekend has been real rainy weather. On Saturday we got up early (helped by the fact I'm still jet lagged and waking at 5am) to take Hannah to the airport so she could go to Sydney to visit Beth
This was the first time for Hannah to travel alone so she was a bit apprehensive.
When we got to the airport there were two fire trucks outside and everyone had been evacuated and was waiting outside the terminal - the boys thought it all very exciting especially as it wasn't yet light and the flashing lights lit everything up.
Obviously it was nothing serious as we soon got inside and the check in for Hannah's flight was rushed through. They did say they'd be a few minutes late which might affect international transfers so we were a little concerned as Hannah's itinerary only had one hour and five minutes to change terminals and clear security and passport control. We watched her flight leave just before 7am and went to McDonalds for breakfast as a treat for the boys - we also found it was a great time to do our supermarket shopping. We then got to the Warehouse just as it opened (another fantastic time to shop) and treated ourselves to the DVD of 'The Wire' as they had 25% off all TV series and I had read while in the UK that this is the best series ever made (We watched episode one last night and could hardly listen for the bad language or understand the plot but we'll have to persevere as we've bought 2 series!!)
Soon after we got home we got a text from Hannah to say there had been fog at Auckland so they'd landed at Hamilton. There were no seats left on the next Sydney flight from Auckland so air new Zealand rerouted the four people in her situation through Rotorua which had a Sydney flight leaving at 5pm. She went in a mini-bus via Tauranga airport then had five and a half hours waiting in Rotorua for the international bit to even open - Rotorua is an airport as small as Palmy with only occasional international flights. So Hannah's first experience of travelling alone led her to experience 3 NZ airports that I've never been to! Still she's safe in Sydney with Beth and James now and has given James all the England World cup paraphernalia we brought back with us (Unfortunately not bringing any luck to the England team though!)
Yesterday Paul has a conference in Christchurch for the day, so I was at home with just the trisomy tribe. We decided to stay in all day and have a pancake brunch rather then a full Sunday dinner. I watched the last of the series of 'Brothers and Sisters' that we took to the UK with us and then found some more episodes online. Noah and Lily played on the Wii together and it was a good stay at home winter day.

No comments: