Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Earthquake and starting Massey

My second day at Massey University and two minutes of silence to think of the victims of the Christchurch earthquake.
Such such a tragedy - watch this very moving footage set to the national anthem
I am so proud of the New Zealand spirit though and how people have reacted. This may be the push for us to become New Zealand citizens.

it is really interesting to be studying again after a 30 year break. It is wonderful how text books now try to help you learn and I am loving having time out from family just for me.
Isaac only goes to school from 8.50 till 12.30 but I've managed to arrange it that we only need a babysitter on Tuesday.
I am studying psychology, - research methods, cognitive psychology, biological psychology and abnormal and therapeutic psychology over this year which works out as half-time of a usual course.
I'm hoping it will integrate lots of what I've learned through my life experiences (with disability and adoption) with psychological theory and brain science.
Hannah has been great showing me round, taking me to my lecture theatres and I got to meet two of my friends who are lecturers and have a child with Down syndrome.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Wow, good on you, I don't know how you do it!

We have had friends and family staying for most of the past 10 days. My mum's place wasn't badly damaged but her crockery was, and with no power or sewerage it was not much fun there. They are right at the top of Mt Pleasant so the aftershocks are pretty nasty.

Good luck with the study :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool, Angela. Sounds like you are doing some interesting papers. I bet you will love every minute of it.
Hugs to you and the boys.
Bridget